Capture your student’s imaginations!
The Gold rush era was one of the most exciting periods in Canada’s history, changing the face of British Columbia forever! Our Education Programs offer students the opportunity to explore BC’s rich cultural history through active, outdoor learning.
Our hands-on programs connect with the new BC Curriculum for Social Studies (Grades 1 – 6) and History (Grade 7 and up).
Please choose ONE program and ONE activity for your class from the list below:
(Choose “Walking Through Time” OR “Games of the Secwepemc”)
WALKING THROUGH TIME – 2 hours
Students will visit an original Roadhouse, ride a horse drawn wagon or stagecoach, and explore a Secwepemc village.
Grade 1 – 3 – “Home away from Home”
Students are invited to imagine they are preparing for a sleepover – at a hotel, or a friend’s home. Their tour through both heritage sites will focus on what they need to be comfortable if they were away from home. Transportation, baking, and games will be explored.
Grade 4 – 6 – “Through the eyes of a Miner”
Students visit the Miner’s Camp, listen to a story, try out a tippy trundle barrow, and tour the Roadhouse and Secwepemc village. While exploring both sites they will learn the challenges faced by the miners and how they interacted with the local Secwepemc people.
Grade 7 and up – “Mind your Manners”
Sometimes shocking. Mostly fascinating. Always entertaining. Students tour both sites and learn about gender roles, expectations, and rites of passage for young people during the Gold Rush era.
GAMES OF THE SECWEPEMC – 90 minutes Grade 4 & up
Get ready to run, toss, pull, and aim in this active program. Students will discover about the importance of recreational games to the First Nations people. Games include stick and ball, spear and hoop, lahal, and many others.
(Choose one activity for your entire class)
- Panning for river rubies > All grades – 30 mins
- Arrowhead hunt / make necklace > Grade 2 and up – 45 mins
- Dancing – Gold Rush style! > All grades – 30 mins
- Make own sage bundle > Grades 1 to 3 – 30 mins.
- Sew your own lacrosse ball > Grade 6 and up – 60 mins
- Sklulukh (Bannock on a stick) > Grade 6 and up – 60 mins
- Trails to gold game > Grade 6 and up – 60 mins
$15 + GST per student
– includes your choice of ONE program and ONE activity
Bring your own lunch – Historic Hat Creek has a covered picnic shelter which groups may use to eat in and store backpacks/coolers, etc. during their visit. Chilled water and other beverages are available for purchase in our restaurant.
Ice cream is available for groups to purchase. Please phone in your order the day before your visit so we can have it ready. $3/person for a generous cup of creamery ice cream in a cone or bowl.
OR purchase lunch – Please choose ONE of these items for the entire group:
- Hot dog lunch – includes potato chips and bottle of water $5
- Bagged lunch – includes turkey, ham or roast beef sandwich, potato chips, bottled water, piece of fruit, cookie or granola bar $7.50
- Burger lunch – includes potato chips, bottled water and a cookie or granola bar $9
ADDITIONAL BOOKING INFORMATION
- The program and additional activities rates are based on a minimum of 10 students.
- For every 10 students, 1 chaperon (teacher/parent) is welcome at no charge. Additional adults are welcome at the same as student rates.
- Some programs are available in French. Please inquire if needed.
- Lunches are available for an additional cost, see menu above, or bring your own lunches and take a break under the picnic shelter.
- We would be pleased to customize your program to meet your students’ learning objectives.
Please contact our program director at: firstname.lastname@example.org
MINER’S OVERNIGHT PROGRAM
2 days/one night Grade 5 and up
The year is 1865 – the height of the Gold Rush in BC. Immerse your students in a two-day living history program where they will spend their days living the life of a gold rush miner. Bring your own period costume and join our lively staff as your students stake their claim, choose their equipment, make their supper and sleep in a miner’s tent. Join us for an unforgettable experience. Our Miner’s Overnight Program targets the grade 5/6 curriculum requirements but is easily adapted to older grades. This program includes supper and an evening snack on the first day, and breakfast and bagged lunch on the second day. Teacher’s Information package is available upon booking.
Overnight cost: $75/participant which includes 3 meals, accommodation in Miner’s tents, and full program (Cabins, for the adults, with running water and bunks are an additional cost)
1 adult complimentary per 10 students – additional adults $30
Historic Hat Creek is an outdoor site. Please dress for the weather. It is expected that our programming will continue in all weather conditions. We ask for 48 hours notice if you need to cancel your visit. Under 48 hour notice, 50% of expected attendance will be charged.
Our gift shop offers unique souvenirs, toys, candy, and more. Schools are invited to browse.
BOOK YOUR PROGRAM
Please email email@example.com or call reservations at 250.457.9722