Capture your student’s imaginations!
The Gold rush era was one of the most exciting periods in Canada’s history, changing the face of British Columbia forever! Our Education Programs offer students the opportunity to explore BC’s rich cultural history through active, outdoor learning.
Our hands-on programs connect with the new BC Curriculum for Social Studies (Grades 1 – 6) and History (Grade 7 and up).
Please choose ONE program and ONE activity for your class from the list below:
(Choose “Walking Through Time” OR “Games of the Secwepemc”)
WALKING THROUGH TIME – 2 hours
Students will visit an original Roadhouse, ride a horse drawn wagon or stagecoach, and explore a Secwepemc village.
Grade 1 – 3 – “Home away from Home”
Students are invited to imagine they are preparing for a sleepover – at a hotel, or a friend’s home. Their tour through both heritage sites will focus on what they need to be comfortable if they were away from home. Transportation, baking, and games will be explored.
Grade 4 – 6 – “Through the eyes of a Miner”
Students visit the Miner’s Camp, listen to a story, try out a tippy trundle barrow, and tour the Roadhouse and Secwepemc village. While exploring both sites they will learn the challenges faced by the miners and how they interacted with the local Secwepemc people.
Grade 4 and up – “Growing Up in the 1800’s”
Sometimes shocking. Mostly fascinating. Always entertaining. Students tour both sites and learn about gender roles, expectations, and rites of passage for young people during the Gold Rush era.
GAMES OF THE SECWEPEMC – 90 minutes Grade 4 & up
Get ready to run, toss, pull, and aim in this active program. Students will discover about the importance of recreational games to the Indigenous People. Games include stick and ball, spear and hoop, lahal, and many others.
(Choose one activity for your entire class)
- Panning for river rubies – 30 mins.
- Arrowhead Hunt – 30 mins.
- Pictograph – 30 mins.
- Double Ball – 30 mins.
- Make Necklace/Bracelet – 45 mins
- Lahal – 45 mins.
- Make Your Own Sage Bundle – 30 mins.
- Story Telling – 30 mins.
Grades 5 and Up
- Scavenger Hunt ( Arrowhead Prize) – 45 mins.
Grade 6 and up
- Sklulukh (Bannock on a stick) – 60 mins
- Hunting for Knowledge Nuggets – 60 mins
- Stick and Ball – 45 Mins.
$15 + GST per student
– includes your choice of ONE program and ONE activity
Bring your own lunch – Historic Hat Creek has a covered picnic shelter which groups may use to eat in and store backpacks/coolers, etc. during their visit. Chilled water and other beverages are available for purchase in our restaurant.
Ice cream is available for groups to purchase. Please phone in your order the day before your visit so we can have it ready. $3/person for a generous cup of creamery ice cream in a cone or bowl.
OR purchase lunch – Please choose ONE of these items for the entire group:
- Hot dog lunch – includes potato chips and bottle of water $5
- Bagged lunch – includes turkey, ham or roast beef sandwich, potato chips, bottled water, piece of fruit, cookie or granola bar $7.50
- Burger lunch – includes potato chips, bottled water and a cookie or granola bar $9
ADDITIONAL BOOKING INFORMATION
- The program and additional activities rates are based on a minimum of 10 students.
- For every 10 students, 1 chaperon (teacher/parent) is welcome at no charge. Additional adults are welcome at the same as student rates.
- Lunches are available for an additional cost, see menu above, or bring your own lunches and take a break under the picnic shelter.
- We would be pleased to customize your program to meet your students’ learning objectives.
Please make inquiries at: email@example.com
MINER’S DAY PROGRAM
Full day program-6 hours-Grade 4,5 and 6
Just as the gold rush of 1860 in the Cariboo offered adventure and the possibility of great reward to the hardy souls who dare to come, Historic Hat Creek’s Miner’s Full Day Program draws students into the past to experience the rich gold rush history of our province.
Teacher’s information booklet available upon request.
Cost: $30 per student
1 adult complimentary per 10 students – additional adults $20
Maximum 30 students
Historic Hat Creek is an outdoor site. Please dress for the weather. It is expected that our programming will continue in all weather conditions. We ask for 48 hours notice if you need to cancel your visit. Under 48 hour notice, 50% of expected attendance will be charged.
Our gift shop offers unique souvenirs, toys, candy, and more. Schools are invited to browse.
BOOK YOUR PROGRAM
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call reservations at 250.457.9722